- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Expats help out collecting food for the needy throughout Malaga
• Nerja volunteers Elaine Roberts (British) and Sharon Adam (American) in SuperSol yesterday
By Eloise Horsfield
EXPATS have been doing their bit to help collect food for the poor in thousands of locations across Spain yesterday and today.
The Gran Recogida hopes to collect 1.5 tons of food in Malaga alone, later to be distributed to those suffering financial difficulty due to Spain’s struggling economy booming unemployment figures.
Americans Ron and Sharon Adam, 67 and 63, spent four hours at SuperSol in Nerja yesterday as part of the Malaga-wide Bancosol food bank initiative.
The couple handed out special bags to customers as they shopped to encourage them to donate, then helped coordinate the collection and loading the packets of lentils, pasta, tomate frito and long-life milk onto carts.
“It was really clear that everyone wanting to help out and there was absolutely no arm twisting involved,” Ron (pictured below) told the Olive Press between his morning and afternoon shifts.
“It was a clear indication of how bad things are.”
“Many shoppers donated and we received a very good amount of non-perishable foods.
“We actually had a few folk apologise to us that they only had small change with them and were merely picking up a newspaper but they would come back later.
“Everyone wants to help.”
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…