- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Velez-Malaga tram back on track
• The planned return of Velez Malaga's tram could be moving closer to reality
THE defunct tram line between Velez-Malaga and Torre del Mar could be reinstated if the town hall can agree on a financial agreement with the Junta.
It comes after the Junta announced that an in-depth study is being undertaken to decide if it is financially viable to bring back the controversial tram.
While pointing out that it is not in the Junta’s remit, delegate for Malaga Jose Luiz Ruiz confirmed that they would try to find out ‘if it was viable’ for the area.
The €40 million service was axed in June last year after just six years in operation because transport bosses ruled it was not economically viable.
The tram, which left the town hall in €2.5 million of debt, could now return but only if state funding is forthcoming.
It is hoped the tram can be part funded by the local and regional government.
The study, which will assess the transportation needs of the town’s 50,000 occupants, is due to take place this month.
The tram line, which opened at the end of 2006, ran from the town centre to Torre del Mar beach.
The tram cost €1 million a year to run and after its closure the town mayor said the money would be invested in the bus service instead.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…