- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Donana under threat from gas extraction
• Donana National Park is a key habitat for the endangered Iberian Lynx
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
By James Bryce
ONE of Spain’s most important conservation zones is under threat after a gas company was granted permission to drill for gas in the area.
The site is on the border of Donana National Park in Andalucia, which is a key habitat for the endangered Iberian Lynx.
Petroleum Oil Gas-Espana has been given the go-ahead to analyse the soil to determine the potential profitability of gas extraction in the region.
The project, which could include the construction of an 18 kilometre-long gas pipe, moved a step closer to reality following the granting of a Declaration of Environmental Impact document.
“The foremost goal of this project is the production of natural gas, and the second goal is to later use the deposits as underground gas storage,” according to a government spokesman.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]