OPPONENTS of a huge ‘macro development’ on one of Andalucia’s last stretches of unspoilt coastline have been given another two months to gather names on a petition.
The protest group opposed to the massive 600-room hotel project, near El Palmar beach, on the Costa de la Luz, need 40,000 signatures to force the scheme to be debated in Parliament.
Currently the group Salvar el Palmar (PELP) has over 25,000 signatures, but is expecting thousands more with both Sevilla and Cadiz universities getting involved this month.
Developers Chival Promociones plan to build two luxury hotels and create 300 jobs in the area.
It was originally apparently shelved in 2009 when company Riera Marsa pulled out of an agreement.
But now new backers, including Cajasol bank, are once again making it viable.
Backed by UK celebrities including Hugh Cornwall, from the Stranglers and Paul Weller from the Jam, Pelp was originally set up when the plan was first presented in 2009 by Vejer Town Hall.
A spokesman Lola Yllescas said: “This will destroy one of the last undeveloped nature spots in Andalucia. It is a disgrace.”
The petition can be signed at http://www.salvarelpalmar.es/
- Guests got more than they bargained for at Gibraltar’s Fawlty Towers dinner - 24 Nov, 2018 @ 19:00
- EXCLUSIVE : the Olive Press has Breakfast with Berkoff - 10 Nov, 2018 @ 11:01
- When it rains… - 28 Oct, 2018 @ 12:24
- Watch out, there’s a new 80s revival in town, but don’t except big hair and shoulder pads - 30 Sep, 2018 @ 12:10
- We’ve survived another mad Marbella summer - 15 Sep, 2018 @ 12:00
- TRIBUTE: Remembering Costa del Sol legendary singer Mel Williams - 2 Sep, 2018 @ 16:00
- AUGUST ANGST: Summer in southern Spain presents some interesting challenges - 4 Aug, 2018 @ 13:23
- TOUR DE FARCE: Last Monday was my final straw with the cyclists - 21 Jul, 2018 @ 11:10
- Football Crazy! - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 16:00
- Oh, Ambassador… you are spoiling us! - 10 Jun, 2018 @ 13:00