- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Messi in tax mess
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
LIONEL Messi and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, will appear in court on September 17 to answer accusations of tax fraud.
The FC Barcelona superstar is accused of evading payment of €4.1 million in taxes from 2007 to 2009.
According to reports, his father had already employed a third party to organize a tax evasion scheme as way back as 2005, when the player was a minor.
If charged and found guilty, the world’s tenth highest-paid athlete could face huge fines and up to six years in prison.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]