A JET skier shot at by the Guardia Civil told the Olive Press about his terrifying ordeal last night
The incident took place on Sunday at around 7pm when the jet ski was in the Western Bay area.
Dale Villa, 32, revealed the terror of being chased by an armed police cruiser around the Bay of Gibraltar when he spoke exclusively to the Olive Press last night.
The father-of-three revealed how he had been fired at on two separate occasions as he tested his brand new Yamaha Wave Runner with family and friends on Sunday afternoon.
“I was very shaken and furious,” said the delivery driver. “When a huge boat is hurling after you and you hear gunshots it is very scary.
“There were three policemen on the boat and I actually saw one of them with a gun in his hand.
“I was just about to drop my friend off at West Beach when I heard the first shot. I don’t really think we took it seriously or believed it could be a gun, but clearly it was.
“Anyway I jumped back on again and whizzed off before realising the boat was chasing after me and had soon fired three more shots at me.
A video, seen by the Olive Press, shows the Jet Ski being chased by the vessel and shots can clearly be heard.
The Royal Navy confirmed last night that it had challenged the unlawful incursion by Guardia Civil vessel Rio Cedena.
A spokeman said: “This appears to be a very serious incident and the government has been in close contact already with the Royal Gibraltar Police.
Dale told the Olive Press “I had only just taken my friend’s ten-year-old daughter out for a spin and was about to pick up her grandmother so we were not being threatening or doing anything wrong.
“We were just having a nice family day out.
“Maybe these guys were bored it being a Sunday but I really hope something is going to be done about it, as it is outrageous.”
He added: “I dread the day someone is injured out at sea in our waters because of the Guardia Civil.
“Only ten minutes earlier I had a ten-year-old-girl onboard – can you imagine the trauma she would have suffered if she had been on the jet ski at the time of the incident?
“Can you imagine if she had been injured? What exactly is it going to take for the UK to ensure this doesn’t happen again?”
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00
- What NOT to do at your office Christmas party in Spain - 21 Dec, 2018 @ 12:00
- Guests got more than they bargained for at Gibraltar’s Fawlty Towers dinner - 24 Nov, 2018 @ 19:00
- EXCLUSIVE : the Olive Press has Breakfast with Berkoff - 10 Nov, 2018 @ 11:01
- When it rains… - 28 Oct, 2018 @ 12:24
- Watch out, there’s a new 80s revival in town, but don’t except big hair and shoulder pads - 30 Sep, 2018 @ 12:10