- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Guardia Civil in Catalan independence Twitter trouble
December 21, 2013
• LAST EDITED:
December 22, 2013
National News • 2 Comments
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
CATALANS are asking Spain’s Guardia Civil to apologise for a “joke” tweet, threatening combat vehicles on the streets if they vote for independence.
The north eastern region has plans for a referendum on independence, which its President Artur Mas says will be held in November next year.
The central government in Madrid is having none of it – calling the vote unconstitutional, and insisting it will never happen.
Social media in Catalonia is alive with debate on the subject, with the hashtag #sisi - calling for people to vote “yes” – trending. Opinion polls suggest a vote – if it’s ever held – would be close.
A tweet sent from an account seemingly run by members of the Guardia Civil has sparked a furore, however, implying that they would be sent in if Catalonia voted for independence, and asking Catalans if they would prefer to have armed men marching down the main street in Barcelona, or armoured combat vehicles instead.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]