- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Fake designer goods seized in Spanish cities
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
MORE than a million items of fake designer clothes and shoes have been seized in several cities, including Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla and Malaga.
In a statement, the interior ministry said the counterfeit items were made in illegal factories in Portugal and then shipped to distributors in north-western Spain.
A total of 235 tonnes of fake garments and footwear were distributed over the past two years at a profit of €5.5 million, the statement said.
According to the ministry, part of the money was held at two mosques in the cities of Ourense and Xinzo de Limia.
Around 100 people are said to have been arrested, including the imam of the mosque of Xinzo de Limia.
Officials said the mosque received nearly €100,000 euros.
The imam at the mosque in the nearby city of Ourense was also detained. Police suspect him of helping to launder the money.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]