MISS Spain has become the first openly gay national beauty queen.
Patricia Yurena came out by posting a photo of her and her girlfriend – Vanesa Cortes, a singer and DJ – on Instagram with the caption ‘Romeo and Juliet’.
The two-time winner of Spain’s most prestigious beauty award has received widespread support on social media after coming out in public.
On the same day Miss Spain announced her sexuality, openly gay Boston-born Maria Walsh won Ireland’s international beauty contest The Rose of Tralee.
Two openly gay beauty queens also competed for the Miss California USA in 2012, but both lost out on the title.
In the same year Donald Trump’s Miss Universe Organisation announced it would allow transgender women to compete.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36