SPANISH Google has today transformed itself in honour of La Tomatina festival’s 70th birthday.
The event, considered the world’s biggest food fight happens for an hour on the last Wednesday of August.
The doodle on the Google homepage depicts locals throwing tomatoes in an event which takes place today in the town of Bunol in Valencia.
The festival’s roots come from a man being pushed off a float in a 1945 parade and resorting to tomato-slinging to vent his rage.
The event was repeated and became an official festival in 1957, today welcoming some 50,000 participants.
- Property portal Kyero is ‘optimistic’ about the Spanish property market post Brexit vote - 14 Jul, 2016 @ 13:40
- Spain’s ‘original’ eating schedule has stabilising effect - 13 Jul, 2016 @ 13:30
- Restaurant chain La Sala introduces dining in the sky - 10 Jul, 2016 @ 09:30
- Blown away by Tarifa - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:06
- Axarquia town begs for residents to limit water usage while unveiling swimming pool - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:03
- Malaga tourism office releases positive message for British tourists and expats after Brexit vote - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 11:45
- Spanish PM Rajoy claims Malaga ‘has a bright, promising future’ - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 19:11
- Tiger kills zookeeper at Benidorm animal park - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 12:00
- Brexit means Spanish expansion for one UK firm - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 11:04
- Michael Gove’s Spanish-based brother in law is worried about his future after Brexit - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 08:25