AN expat grandmother fears she is set to be made homeless after losing a seven-year legal battle with Estepona Town Hall.
Terttu Balson, 70, is facing eviction from her home after being ordered to pay a fine of €23,400 over an illegal loft conversion.
The Finnish expat, who lived in London for decades, has been forced to remove the extension from her roof, despite many of her neighbours having a similar construction.
As the Olive Press reported in October, last year, she insists her lawyer told her she had the correct licence and she had built in ‘good faith’.
However, the town hall disagreed and – despite apparently ignoring her neighbour’s similar extensions – took legal action against her.
“I have been left homeless and penniless by all this ludicrous bureaucracy,” said Terttu, who has launched a petition on change.org.
“I trusted the experts to sort out the planning permissions and licences. As far as I was concerned I had done everything above board and built in good faith.”
The extension has now been torn down and she is putting up a new one that has now been authorised for €35,000.
As she is already struggling to pay this amount, she fears her home will be repossessed with a deadline set for September 20 to pay the fine.
She added: “I know I cannot pay it and I am really worried about being thrown out on the street.”
Estepona Town Hall said last night that it did not comment on individual property disputes.
To view Terttu’s petition, click here.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36