I GET a firm grip of my bag, take a step back and make a break for it, except I don’t get far.
The next thing I know I’m slammed against a car door by three men and dragged helplessly across the road in a headlock, heart racing. They take my passport and my bag and throw it in the back of their black car.
But these weren’t any old road-side robbers, these were the men whose job it is to stop them; the Guardia Civil.
This unbelievable (but somehow true) episode began when I was dropped off on the outskirts of Estepona, at a roundabout off the A-7.
A ‘policeman’ approached and asked to see my identification, I said I live here but happened to have my passport on me so went to get it out.
But at that moment it dawned on me that this was just a normal man wearing a fluorescent jacket, and the car behind him just a normal black hatchback.
So to put my suspicions to bed, I withheld my passport momentarily and asked if he had ID. At which point he grew angry and lunged for the rucksack on my shoulders.
And there and then I made the decision to get myself to a more public place, a place where other cars would be around. I did what came naturally, and legged it. Except I didn’t bank on two other men diving out of the car and straight for me.
The next thing I know I’m slammed against the side of a car and head-locked forcefully. This is it I think, shouting for help and wrestling with my attackers…
As it later transpired – after some heated discussions – these actually were policeman, keeping an eye out for anyone trying to dodge the road block just out of sight.
As it also transpired, I was not a drug-laden fugitive.
My bag contained only my passport, camera and a brand new pair of orange swim shorts. Things which I am not willing to hand over to just any old person who approaches me with a fluorescent jacket on!
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36
- Learn the slopes with Sierra Nevada’s dedicated English ski school - 31 Dec, 2018 @ 13:33