THE old adage ‘don’t knock it until you’ve tried it’ has never been more apt.
Because this Christmas, tasty shortcuts are the order of the day so you can consecrate more time to the important things… like necking bucks fizz and unwrapping presents.
The sweet drink infuses the meat keeping it incredibly moist and succulent without it being identifiably ‘Cokey’.
Forget the turkey and scorn the nut roast, because gammon is a crowd-pleaser with heaps of flavour, and it really lasts.
Pair it with elaborate potato dauphinoise to impress your guest, then hoover up the left-overs with a baked sweet potato or alternatively a fresh carrot, celery, apple and walnut salad to bring the new year in with a healthy kick.
Two important tips: don’t even think about using diet coke – it’s full-fat or nothing, and be sure to remove the cloves before you tuck in!
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: Two hours 40 minutes
2kg mild-cure gammon joint
One onion (peeled and halved)
Two litres Coca-Cola (full-fat)
A handful of cloves
One large tbsp black treacle
Two tsp English mustard powder
Two tbsp light brown Demerara sugar
One tbsp Dijon mustard
Peel and cut the onion in half.
Put the ham in a large pot with the onion and pour the Coca-Cola all over it.
Over a medium-high heat, bring the Coke to a boil. Then, reduce the head to medium-low and cover with a lid, leaving it partially ajar and allow to cook for 2 hours 30 mins – leave one hour for every two pounds.
Preheat the oven to 240 degrees Centigrade.
Remove the ham from the pot, leave to rest on a chopping board and reserve cooking liquid.
Trim the skin with a sharp knife leaving a thin layer of fat on the ham.
Score the fat diagonally with the knife to resemble large diamonds.
Pierce each ‘diamond’ with one clove
Next, spread the treacle over the skin, watch out for the cloves, before gently patting the mustard and sugar on to the sticky fat.
Cook it in a roasting tin for around 10 minutes or until the glaze is browned and bubbly
- OPINION: Why Mijas needs to see serious change in 2019 - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 17:36
- Is your home in Spain ready for the cold? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:30
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00