THERESA May has said she wants to answer the expat question early on in Brexit negotiations.
In an interview with BBC’s Andrew Neil last night, the UK prime minister said she wants to be able to reassure both British citizens in Europe and European citizens in the UK.
“I want a reciprocal agreement in terms of guaranteeing the status of EU citizens and UK citizens,” she said.
“I think this should be done at an early stage.
“I believe from the talks I’ve had with other leaders that there is a good will there and that there are those who recognise the importance of giving people reassurance.
“And I think we will be able to address this as one of the early things that we talk about in the negotiations.”
It comes after she formally triggered Article 50 on Tuesday night, beginning the divorce proceedings between the UK and the EU.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16