THE EU are unimpressed by Spain’s emissions testing of its diesel vehicles.
It comes after Spain’s Industry Ministry tested the exhaust emissions of 16 of the country’s leading diesel vehicles between December 2015 and August 2016.
It found that all of them had higher nitrous oxide (NOx) levels when driven on the road than permitted by the EU.
“There is a discrepancy between the values obtained [in a laboratory] and those obtained through real driving,” the recently released report reads.
Passing a laboratory test has been sufficient for a car maker to sell a diesel vehicle in Spain, but from September, the EU will introduce road testing as well.
It follows the Volkswagen emissions scandal in 2015 which revealed how the German car maker had installed software on the computers on its diesel vehicles to register lower emissions levels when connected to a laboratory computer.
Several countries then agreed to carry out road tests on vehicles that they had approved. Spain said it would analyze 30 models, but only tested 16, saying it lacked the funding to test all 30.
The report, released in March, concludes that the 16 vehicles it road tested all had higher emissions levels than those registered when analyzed in a laboratory.
The diesel vehicles, from makers like Seat, Ford, Nissan, Volvo and Ssangyong, all had EU NOx limits that were between 1.8 and 12.6 times higher than allowed.
EU sources say Brussels suspects Madrid is not being fully cooperative and is not satisfied with the report and that they may well demand a second.
The European Commission says that so far, only the reports submitted by Germany and the United Kingdom, which cover hundreds of pages, meet its requirements.
Spain’s report was just 34 pages.
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23