SPANISH police say they have killed five suspected terrorists in Cambrils in order to stop another van attack.

The men were all wearing explosive belts and were linked to the earlier Las Ramblas attack which killed 13, police said.

Catalan regional head, Carles Puigdemont, later told said that the suicide belts were fake.

Catalan police also confirmed that a third suspect had been arrested in Ripoll following yesterday’s van attack.

They are also being linked to an explosion at a house in Alcanar on Wednesday night which left one dead.

It appeared residents in the house had been preparing explosive devices, police said.

The driver of the first attack is still at large.

Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy described it as a jihadist attack while ISIS claimed responsibility.

Rajoy has declared three days of national mourning and minute’s silence will be held later today.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.