CADIZ is in mourning after an elderly resident of the city was killed by a military policeman while on holiday in Rio de Janeiro.
Maria Esperanza Jiménez Ruiz, 67 was with her brother and his wife on a tour of the notorious Rocinha favela when she was shot.
She was taken to hospital by the emergency services but declared dead on arrival.
Initial reports from the authorities state that the officer opened fire on the car in which she was travelling in as it did not stop at a police check point.
However, the driver and passengers have disputed this, saying they were not commanded to stop.
The Spanish Embassy in Brazil is currently working with authorities in Rio de Janeiro to establish exactly what happened in this tragic incident.
- Activists propose daily tax for Balearic cruise ship passengers - 26 May, 2018 @ 21:02
- Branson embraces Balearic life while Necker Island is rebuilt - 26 May, 2018 @ 18:44
- Chinese film industry eyes up purchase of Spanish locations - 26 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- Podemos leader faces confidence vote after ‘luxury’ home purchase - 26 May, 2018 @ 12:13
- Stunning Kensington pine walk property goes on the market in Pollensa - 25 May, 2018 @ 17:13
- Magaluf hit-and-run Brit is younger sister of expat drug lord - 25 May, 2018 @ 13:13
- Balearic president to meet with airlines to safeguard resident discounts - 25 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- Airport group goes public with concerns over transporting drunk passengers - 24 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- British tourists warned over balcony antics in new safety video - 24 May, 2018 @ 14:37
- British bar managed arrested over the death of Northern Irish tourist in Magaluf - 24 May, 2018 @ 12:33