A spokesman for the conservative government of Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said on Friday that it was challenging ‘certain parts’ of the legislation, which was adopted last year and hailed by animal rights groups.
“The autonomous community doesn’t have in its mandate the specific power to protect animal rights,” said Inigo Mendez de Vigo, from Madrid.
The new law does not outlaw bullfighting completely, but it forbids the use of ‘sharp implements that can injure and/or kill the bull,’ effectively outlawing the animal’s slaughter.
It also limits the number of animals that bullfighters can spar with to just three, and give a maximum duration of ten minutes per bull.
It also forces bullfighters and animals to take anti-doping tests before and after the corrida, and allows only people aged 18 and above to watch.
Restrictions and bans have increased across the country as a growing number of Spaniards see the sport as a cruel spectacle.
These restrictions however, have often come up against strong resistance from supporters who see the tradition as an integral part of Spanish culture.
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38