POLICE have arrested four men in connection with a scam that involves changing the paperwork of stolen top of the range cars and selling them at auction.
Officers from the Anti-Drugs and Organized Crime unit of the National Police made the arrests as part of Operation Malaya – an investigation into town planning corruption in the Costa del Sol resort.
Police believe the men, who include two members of the local police force and two directors of a tow truck company that worked for the town’s council, changed the chassis and registration numbers of suspected stolen cars before selling them to unsuspecting buyers at municipal auction.
It is claimed more than 400 stolen cars were passed on this way stretching back to the early 1990s.
The four were released with charges but have to appear before magistrates in the town on the first and 15th of each month.
Meanwhile, judges in Marbella are also investigating if the two local police officers involved in the selling on of stolen cars were part of a police ring that did not file a record of any spot fines they issued – keeping the money in a secret bank account.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00