POLICE have arrested four men in connection with a scam that involves changing the paperwork of stolen top of the range cars and selling them at auction.
Officers from the Anti-Drugs and Organized Crime unit of the National Police made the arrests as part of Operation Malaya – an investigation into town planning corruption in the Costa del Sol resort.
Police believe the men, who include two members of the local police force and two directors of a tow truck company that worked for the town’s council, changed the chassis and registration numbers of suspected stolen cars before selling them to unsuspecting buyers at municipal auction.
It is claimed more than 400 stolen cars were passed on this way stretching back to the early 1990s.
The four were released with charges but have to appear before magistrates in the town on the first and 15th of each month.
Meanwhile, judges in Marbella are also investigating if the two local police officers involved in the selling on of stolen cars were part of a police ring that did not file a record of any spot fines they issued – keeping the money in a secret bank account.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00