A GRUESOME murder of a guesthouse owner remains unsolved after the three main suspects were released.
The trio have been absolved of the 2003 murder of Carmen G. after the judge ruled that there is insufficient evidence against them.
The three had been arrested in Fuengirola a few days after the body of the owner of Pension Aguilar was found tied up. She had been suffocated while the safe had been broken into, despite not having any money.
The trio – an Algerian trader, 44, his Moroccan girlfriend and a 36-year-old Frenchman, who had previous convictions for robbery – were accused of fleeing the town after the police found the body.
The victim’s husband claimed that the three had been acting suspiciously in the run up to the murder on October 21.
The Moroccan woman, who was a divorced cleaner, had been staying at the hostal in Calle Naranjo.
However the Malaga court ruled that there were neither fingerprints, nor DNA evidence linking them to the crime.
In addition, he ruled that no-one had testified against them with any substantial evidence.
The cleaner was the only link between the accused and the murder. But on the morning of the murder she had a perfect alibi. At the time of the killing she had met with a friend, with whom she went to the bank and other shops.
Later, after returning to the hostal to find the police investigating the murder, she took a bus down to Fuengirola, where she met up with the Frenchman, who was living in Barcelona. The investigation continues.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00