AT least two Guardia Civil officers have been killed by a car bomb in Mallorca.
A further 46 have been injured after a car bomb went off outside Guardia Civil barracks in Burgos, while a third could be imminent.
The attacks mark the 50th anniversary of the group, that was set up by left wing students during Franco´s dictatorship in the 1950s.
The two deaths came after their booby-trapped car exploded near the Marivent Palace, in Palmanova, where Spain´s royal family is currently on holiday.
The blast comes a day after a car bomb targeted a barracks in Burgos, injuring 60 people and blowing off most of the 14-storey building’s facade.
Police have already blamed the Basque separatist group, Eta, for Wednesday’s attack.
ETA has been blamed for more than 820 deaths during its 50-year campaign for an independent Basque nation.
The security forces have been on the alert since the weekend after receiving information from France that ETA planned “to bring three vans packed with explosives into Spain,” reported El Mundo.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00