THREE people died from swine flu this weekend to become Andalucia’s first fatalities from the illness.
The victims were all female and each suffered from serious health problems which seriously reduced their ability to fight the disease.
The total number of deaths in Spain from the highly-contagious disease has now reached 15.
The first victim was a 39-year-old pregnant woman from Morocco who was originally admitted to hospital in Sevilla with hepatitis.
Her condition quickly worsened, forcing doctors at the Hospital de Valme to perform an emergency Caesarean due to fears over her unborn baby.
“The total number of deaths in Spain from the highly-contagious disease has now reached 15.”
The baby was successfully delivered without the virus, however, the mother died later in intensive care.
Her two other children also contracted the illness but have reportedly made a full recovery.
The second death came shortly later on Saturday afternoon at the Punta de Europa Hospital in Algeciras.
The 50-year-old woman had a history of other, undisclosed, health problems.
And less than 24 hours later, it emerged that a third woman, 20, had died in the San Cecilo Hospital in Granada.
She was admitted to hospital last Wednesday, and is understood to have been dangerously obese.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58