A DANGEROUS sex offender who was placed on a list of the UK’s most wanted criminals thought to be living in Spain has been arrested in Greece.
Stephen Burnell, 56, of Scunthorpe, has been missing since 2007, when he failed to attend York Crown Court for trial.
He was convicted of offences including attempted rape in his absence and given a six-year jail term.
Burnell was the second man wanted under an appeal targeting fugitives in Spain in just 24 hours.
Leeds-born Ronald Priestley, 69, was arrested in Malaga on Wednesday in connection with £4.25m of currency counterfeiting offences.
Burnell was detained on the Greek island of Crete on Wednesday.
His offences were carried out in North Yorkshire and included the attempted rape and indecent assault of a nine-year-old girl who he abused over four years.
Det Insp Keith Ruff, who led the North Yorkshire Police investigation into Burnell, said: “We are delighted that the law has caught up with this man.
“Burnell must now face up to his despicable crimes.”
Last month Burnell was named as one of 10 men being targeted in Crimestoppers Operation Captura appeal on the Costa del Sol.
The second most wanted man, Priestley was featured in the first appeals made under Operation Captura in October 2006.
Crimestoppers’ founder and chairman, Lord Ashcroft, said: “To have two most wanted men arrested within 24 hours is an incredible achievement.
“The fact is that more than half the criminals who have been featured under Operation Captura have already been caught.
“Therefore my message to the rest of them, still on the run, is that it doesn’t matter which island they are sunning themselves on, they should put their affairs in order and find a tenant for their villas, because there’s a good chance they will be soon on their way home.”
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27