A MASS protest has been called to oppose the passing of a plan that would see one of Andalucia’s last virgin beaches destroyed.
The demonstration on Monday (December 21) will coincide with a crucial vote at Vejer de la Frontera town hall which is likely to pass the plans for two luxury hotels at El Palmar.
Hand in hand with an internet campaign, which already has over 20,000 signatures, the protest will oppose the plan to build the 700-unit ‘macroproject’ right beside the beach.
Using social networking site Facebook, and a viral email campaign, the protesters hope to force the authorities to rethink the scheme.
Deemed “entirely unsustainable” and a “major destruction of one of Andalucia’s last virgin beaches”, it is perhaps surprising that both the PSOE and PP parties have united to push through the scheme.
Claiming it is necessary to create 300 jobs for the region, the development by Chival Promociones envisages the three and four star hotels opening by 2012.
Its owner Juan Munoz has already invested money in a number of other developments in the area in Rota, Sotogrande and Jerez.
While a large part of the area has been protected thanks to the IU party that runs neighbouring Conil town hall, the Vejer part of the beach area is open for development.
Curiously the project, that is being backed by Cajasol bank, was apparently shelved earlier this year when the company Riera Marsa pulled out of an agreement.
The beach, which is enjoyed by thousands of nature lovers for its laid back vibe and undeveloped status, is one of the last few developed in Cadiz province.
Lola Yllescas, of green group Ecologistas en Accion, said: “This will destroy one of the last undeveloped nature spots in Andalucia. It is a disgrace.”
For more information and to log your opposition visit http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=210537655718
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58