A BRAWL erupted when a group of Muslims tried to pray outside Cordoba’s former Great Mosque.
Two Muslim tourists were arrested for breaking an ancient ban imposed by the Roman Catholic Church.
While taking a tour of the historic building – which became a cathedral in the 13th century – six Muslims controversially knelt down to pray.
Security guards “invited them to continue with their tour or leave the building”, but when they refused, a scuffle broke out seriously injuring two security guards.
One of the men, part of a tour of 118 Austrian Muslims, pulled out a knife.
The group of six appeared before a Cordoba judge after being charged with disturbing public order.
Catholic authorities condemned the incident: “They provoked in an organised fashion a deplorable episode of violence.”
Alexander Osman, spokesman for the the Association of Young Austrian Muslims, said: “We would like to sincerely apologise to the Christian authorities for what happened.”
Muslim organisations have long campaigned for the right to pray in what was once one of the biggest mosques in the world.
But the Bishop of Cordoba recently reinforced a ban on Muslims praying in any part of the 24,000 square-metre building.
The Great Mosque of Cordoba was captured by King Ferdinand III in 1236 after he reclaimed the city from the Moors.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00