THE European Union has slammed the Junta for failing to take action after figures were published showing high levels of cancer in Gibraltar.
Andalucian officials were blamed for not investigating why the number of people hospitalised by tumours is greater on the rock than other areas of the region.
It is feared that these alarming figures for both the Rock and the Campo de Gibraltar area are caused by oil refineries in the Gibraltar bay.
“The inhabitants of Gibraltar and Campo de Gibraltar believe that they have the right to health just like other areas of Andalucia and the right to know why they die earlier here than in other similar areas.”
The European Parliament Petitions Commission is now urging the Spanish and British governments to identify the cause of the worrying levels.
The Gibraltar government has already begun gathering data for the study, but the Junta has refused to cooperate.
“The inhabitants of Gibraltar and Campo de Gibraltar believe that they have the right to health just like other areas of Andalucia and the right to know why they die earlier here than in other similar areas,” the Commission said in a statement.
“The relevant European, Spanish, British and Andalucian legislation gives them this right, but the public body responsible for this refuses to do so.”
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27