STARBUCKS has been served up an espresso-powered hit of humiliation.
The coffee giant – which has recently launched in Malaga – was named as the most hypocritical company by lobby group Ecologistas en Accion.
It comes after Starbucks’ most recent advertising campaign insisting that its coffee is made from 100 per cent fair trade.
“With its latest efforts to promote an image centred on fair trade, it only shows how deluded the company really is.”
The green campaigners dished out its ‘Shame Award’ to the American chain at its third annual awards bash in San Sebastian.
“With its latest efforts to promote an image centred on fair trade, it only shows how deluded the company really is,” explained the activists.
“It has received more complaints, criticisms and charges of environmental, social and economic abuse than any other company.”
The green group added that its business model is based on waste, citing that although 800m people live in severe poverty, 40 per cent of all food produced is thrown away.
The unwanted gongs intend to name and shame companies which promote “sexist, discriminatory, irresponsible or wasteful values”.
Starbucks Coffee has recently opened two cafes in the new T-3 terminal at Malaga airport and plans to further spread its granules across Andalucia.
Meanwhile, other shameful business losers were Carrefour, Banco Santander and the ‘Shopping and Style’ supplement in El Pais newspaper.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00