By Nicola Cowell
RADIOACTIVE traces have been found in tap water in 19 Almerían villages.
The ´abnormal levels of alpha radiation` were found in water from a well that serves the village of Albox.
Spanish health authority of the Junta de Andalucía has now warned locals in 18 surrounding towns that their water is unfit to drink.
The mayor in Albox issued a statement warning people not to drink or cook with their tap water due to the supply from the Zorreras well being found to be contaminated during routine tests.
Some of the towns, many which are bustling with tourists, have been cut off and are forced to get their water from tankers which deliver supplies only twice a week.
Water companies, who are now looking into the problem, say this is not the first time water has been unfit to drink in Almería.
Health delegate Manuel Lucas played down the problem, saying the tests taken were very wide.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48