By Wendy Williams
ANDALUCIA has one of the biggest shortages of hospital beds in Spain.
Hospitals around the region have just 2.72 beds for every 1000 inhabitants, which is second only to Valencia, with 2.69 beds.
In addition, just 41.5 per cent of patients in Andalucía are able to get an appointment the following day compared to a massive 68.5 per cent in Asturias.
The figures come as it emerges that Andalucia is one of the lowest spending regions for healthcare in Spain.
The region spends just 1180 euros a year per inhabitant, which is a staggering 443 euros less than in the Basque country.
It also has one of the highest patient/doctor ratios, with 1,442 patients per doctor.
In light of these findings the health services association (FADSP) have rated the health service in Andalucía as ‘below average’.
Andalucia is also near the bottom of the list for spending on pharmaceuticals beating only Madrid and the Canary Islands.
It is not however the worst in the country as the heath services in Madrid, Galicia, the Canary Islands and Valencia all rated as ‘poor’.
Five regions – Navarra, Castille y Leon, Asturias, Castilla la Mancha and Aragon – scored ‘good’ in the ratings.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00