EXCLUSIVE by Wendy Williams
A BRITISH woman has been landed with a 300 euro tax bill for a car she sold years ago.
Diane Hamer was horrified to discover that her blue Suzuki Baleno was still registered in her name.
The hairdresser, who lives in Antequera, had sold it to a friend and regular customer three years ago.
When she handed over the paperwork she believed everything had been carried out correctly.
It was only when she bought a new car this year that the garage owner explained she was still effectively responsible for all fines, tax and accidents relating to her old car.
“As you can imagine I was very annoyed,” she said.
“My friend assured me he would transfer the car into his name and I trusted him completely to do it.
She added: “I had no option but to go to the Traffic Department in Malaga, pay the fine owing and cancel the registration.
“Whoever has the car now is driving it illegally.”
It emerges that the car has been sold on twice since Hamer sold it, in particular via a car dealer.
The British dealer, also based in Antequera, told the Olive Press: “It is very easy here to trust the buyer to put the car in their name but you have to be careful.
“If she hadn’t sold the car without doing the transfer she wouldn’t be in this mess.”
If anyone has information regarding the navy blue Suzuki Baleno Estate car, registration no: 2994 CWX, please email [email protected] .
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00