By Amie Keeley
A MAN has been killed after his television exploded when it was hit by lightning through a window.
The 31-year-old was in a cortijo in Arroyo del Ojanco, Jaén when the incident happened, as torrential rain, thunder and lightening swept across southern Spain last night.
A nine-year-old boy from Almodóvar del Campo, has also gone missing after floods swept away the car he was travelling in with his parents.
The parents escaped from the vehicle but could not save their child.
Soldiers were called in to help firefighters in Ecija where the heaviest flooding was reported after the river Genil burst its banks forcing thousands of people to flee their homes.
AEMET, the Spanish Meteorological Agency, has put the South West of Spain on high alert as more heavy rain is forecast for Andalucía and Extremadura today.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00