A BRITISH couple had the perfect Christmas present when the Spanish authorities overruled a forced adoption order in the UK.
Valencia social services decided to give the couple’s 10-month-old baby Daniel back, despite Suffolk council insisting they were psychologically ‘unfit’.
The East Anglian couple, whose names have been withheld for legal reasons, fled to Spain in February after their other child, Poppy, now two, was seized by social workers and put up for adoption.
Daniel was still being breast fed in hospital when Spanish authorities, acting on a tip-off from Suffolk, took him away.
The father told the Daily Mail in the UK: “To find our son had gone was cruelty beyond belief.
“My wife couldn’t bear to have another child snatched from her ever again. So she decided to be sterilized there and then.”
It emerges that English social workers were acting on unproven allegations about the mother’s mental health made by her ex-husband.
But after conducting numerous psychological tests, Spain’s social services deemed the couple were perfectly fit to be parents.
“The Spanish social services say we meet all their criteria for being good parents and we’re delighted.”
The decision has spurred the couple to try and get their daughter Poppy back. She is currently being looked after by foster parents, who want to adopt her.
The couple are now taking their case to the European Court of Human Rights to get her back.
The return of Daniel is a break-through for scores of British families who have fled t Spain to escape the clutches of the UK social services.
- Brit arrested at Malaga airport with nine cocaine packages - 11 Jan, 2011 @ 09:52
- Spanish mayor calls it quits - 10 Jan, 2011 @ 18:40
- Dropping the donkeys in Spain - 10 Jan, 2011 @ 18:20
- ETA calls truce - 10 Jan, 2011 @ 12:44
- Prehistoric cannibal victims found in Spain - 8 Jan, 2011 @ 10:00
- Doctors who sent a Spanish toddler home four times before her death are sued by mother - 7 Jan, 2011 @ 14:23
- Pensioners found dead on deserted Spanish estates - 7 Jan, 2011 @ 12:32
- Spain’s Hindu guru charged with sexual abuse - 6 Jan, 2011 @ 13:28
- Hope still alive to find Amy Fitzpatrick - 6 Jan, 2011 @ 10:49
- Three Kings take to the Sierra Nevada pistas - 6 Jan, 2011 @ 09:44