NOW that Christmas and New Year is over we can get back to eating some more simple food.
My wife, Jacqui, likes to eat porridge from time to time. A while ago I noticed a recipe for a spinach and feta quiche with a porridge base on the back of the pack of porridge she bought in Mercadona. This is now a firm favourite with both Jacqui and myself.
Here is a translation of the recipe.
For the base
- 200g porridge
- 100g butter, fridge-cold and diced
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 125g feta cheese (cut into small squares)
- 600g spinach
For the sauce
- 130 ml cream
- 2 eggs
- Seasoning (pepper, salt, nutmeg (nuez moscada))
Mix together the ingredients for the base then press into the base and sides of a 25 cm (10 inch) flan dish lined with greaseproof paper using the back of a large spoon. Cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
Cook the spinach lightly over a low heat with a large spoonful of water. When cooked down drain off any excess liquid. Add salt and pepper to taste then add the feta cheese. Add this mixture to the already cooked quiche base. (When I started cooking the spinach I didn´t believe that 600g would look so large an amount. However, once it had been cooked down it was just enough to fit on the quiche.)
Mix the ingredients for the sauce then pour the sauce over the quiche and cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Memories of Middlesbrough - 25 Aug, 2012 @ 15:43
- Up the Boro - 23 Apr, 2012 @ 08:14
- Blog, fog and smog - 5 Apr, 2012 @ 13:25
- Spring comes to Almerimar – but no green shoots of recovery? - 8 Mar, 2012 @ 09:33
- Almerimar Burns Night - 29 Jan, 2012 @ 20:58
- Canadian Rummy, Tuesday Golf and Eric McMordie - 22 Dec, 2011 @ 11:46
- Long drive to bodega for golfers - 24 Nov, 2011 @ 11:55
- Fairplay for great customer service - 19 Oct, 2011 @ 15:24
- Almerimar treasure hunts - 6 Sep, 2011 @ 21:15
- Golf – it has taken over the last 17 years of my life! - 18 Jul, 2011 @ 08:36