By Wendy Williams
THREE Costa de la Luz mayors have united to oppose a wind farm scheme a few kilometres offshore.
The trio from Conil, Barbate and Vejer insist that the scheme – which would create hundreds of jobs – would ruin the coastline.
They claim that the 1,000 megawatt project would also endanger their fishing stocks, if allowed to be built by Acciona and naval company Navantia.
It comes despite Acciona President, Carmen Becerril, pointing to similar projects in Germany which had created 1,200 jobs and provided a massive boost to the local economy.
But she admitted one of the main obstacles to the project – proposed seven years ago – was the social rejection.
An anti-wind farm protest group has been set up bringing together political groups, fishermen, businessmen, unions and locals to oppose the scheme.
Barbate mayor Rafael Quiros, explained: “We are not in favour of the windmills being put on our coast. We will defend that to the death.”
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46