Advertising the well-established La Casita campsite – and a new paintballing venture to boot – nowadays make sure to stop for a fantastic new restaurant La Finca as well.
For this true dining secret has – like all the best restaurants – a great story behind it.
Part of the Castilla family since the 1800s, this charming cortijo was once the nerve centre of a huge estate that once included Sotogrande, Alcaidesa and San Roque.
Today, ancestor Syrie Blanco Walsh has turned it into an atmospheric escape, full of charm and creativity.
With the help of her erudite New Yorker husband Chris Cousins – a born entrepreneur – they have conjured up one of the best stop-offs between Malaga and Gibraltar.
But it wouldn’t be the same without their pal Benny, an amiable Thai/American, who has the magic touch in the kitchen.
His Thai fusion menu is adventurous with plenty of specials to add to the mix.
I particularly enjoyed his Summer roll, an incredibly fresh offering of shrimp, crab, egg and beans sprouts, as well as his spicy beef salad with classic ‘sticky’ rice.
“But I’ll often also do a classic Tom Yum Kha, or lobster pad thai,” he explains.
I finished off with his intriguing Fireball ice cream, which came with fresh raspberry sauce and vanilla ice cream with a trickle of Barcardi on top.
What a joy!
La Finca Fusion
Ctra. N- 340, km . 126,2.
11360 – San Roque
(next to Camping La Casita)
Tel: 665 075 124
Exits 124 y 127 of E-15
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10