A BABY’S grave will be dug up next week in the latest in Spain’s stolen baby scandal.
The child was born at the Virgen de Rocio hospital in Sevilla in 1974, but its mother was later told her baby had died.
But due to certain ‘contradictions’, she has always been suspicious her child had survived and last April decided to report the baby missing.
She later won the right for her child’s grave to be exhumed and the case is now one of 100 or so currently being investigated in Sevilla.
“The aim is to clear up the doubt in the family’s mind that their baby survived and its burial was staged,” said a source.
Meanwhile a mother and daughter who were reunited after 31 years are planning to file a denuncia against a Madrid hospital.
Elvira, now 50, fell pregnant in 1981 while working as an unmarried servant.
After giving birth at Santa Cristina hospital she was kept sedated for several days and was later told her baby had died.
But 31 years later, her unknown daughter Maria presented a voluntary jurisdiction order to a court, allowing her to look into her own origins.
Maria tracked down her mother in Ourense, Galicia, and after meeting in May last year, the pair are now preparing to take legal action.
“I’ve lost the best years of my daughter’s life, which cannot be bought back with money or prison sentences,” said Elvira.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10