A GIBRALTAR politician has obtained an injunction against a cross-border workers’ association over allegedly defamatory remarks made on Facebook.
Environment Minister Joe Bossano has said that accusations that Spanish and Moroccan workers were banned from a Christmas party were ‘ridiculous and unfounded’.
On the social networking site, workers association CITYPEG claimed the employees were prevented from attending the event, which was held by government-owned construction company GJBS last week.
The allegedly defamatory material has now been removed from the social networking site.
“The Government regrets that it was forced to take such action and wishes to stress that it will always staunchly defend people’s right to freedom of speech,” said a government spokesman.
“This freedom does not, however, give anyone the right to make false and seriously defamatory statements and allegations such as the ones which are the subject of the injunction.”
In an earlier statement the government had strongly denied the allegations, stating: “There is absolutely no truth to the allegation which has been made that the government or any minister may have had any hand in deciding who should be invited to any Christmas party organised by GJBS.”
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33