CHIEF Minister Fabian Picardo is to write to British Prime Minister David Cameron after a Guardia Civil boat fired shots at a Jet Ski in Gibraltar.
The incident took place on Sunday at around 7pm when the Jet Ski was in the Western Bay area.
The rider, who did not want to be named, told a local website: “I decided to try out a new Jet Ski.
“I had been taking friends and family on rides and it was on one of these trips with a friend that I was fired upon at least four times by a Guardia Civil vessel.
“There was no reason for this whatsoever.”
A video, seen by The Olive Press, shows the Jet Ski being chased by the vessel and shots can clearly be heard.
The Royal Navy confirmed last night that it had challenged the unlawful incursion by Guardia Civil vessel Rio Cedena.
A spokeman said: “This appears to be a very serious incident and the government has been in close contact already with the Royal Gibraltar Police.
“The facts are in the process of being fully determined.”
The rider added: “I dread the day someone is injured out at sea in our waters because of the Guardia Civil.
“Only 10 minutes earlier I had a 10 year-old-girl onboard – can you imagine the trauma she would have suffered if she had been on the Jet Ski at the time of the incident?
“Can you imagine if she had been injured? What exactly is it going to take for the UK to ensure this doesn’t happen again?”
The Chief Minister, Fabian Picardo, said: “This incident, given what has now been established, is so serious that it is right that I should refer it directly to the Prime Minister.”
- Giles Brown is more Christopher Biggins than Christopher Reeve as he learns to fly in southern Spain - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 16:08
- OPEN SEASON: Giles Brown puts up many a guest at his place, but draws the line at garden yurts - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- TROLL TROUBLE: Giles Brown is used to insults flying his way, but troll his family and that’s a different matter - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- I have never felt more proud of my Burlesque-dancing goddaughter, writes Giles Brown - 25 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00