FORMER prime minister Sir John Major has urged British tourists to swap their normal Costa holidays for exploration of the real Spain.
He sang the delights of inland Spain as he addressed dignitaries in Candeleda, his holiday destination of choice near Avila, as the village unveiled a street named after him.
Major said: “Up to one million British citizens have a house in Spain. Somewhere between 13 and 14 million British tourists visit every year.
“Most of them come to enjoy your beautiful seaside and island resorts – but I’ve learned differently.
“I would urge them to venture into real Spain.
“They will find not only magnificent cities, part of out common European heritage, but also a whole range of stunningly beautiful towns and villages of which Candeleda is to me, one of the jewels.”
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40