BARCELONA mayor Xavier Trías slammed Madrid the day after it had its 2020 Olympics dream dashed.
Madrid came third in the Olympic Committee vote behind Turkey and Japan, with Tokyo winning the bid.
Trías mocked the Madrid Olympic committee for their “poor English” — especially Madrid Mayor Ana Botella’s whose speech was an embarrassment.
He believes that Barcelona would have a better chance of winning the bid. “Brand Barcelona is more powerful than Istanbul and almost as powerful as Tokyo,” Trías told Catalan radio station RAC1.
Trias would consider applying for the Winter Olympics 2022, 2026 or 2030, but, with a bit of a jibe toward Madrid… “It doesn’t make sense to present an Olympics bid just to make a fool of oneself”.
- VIDEO: Nightmare returns for illegal homeowners in Spain as Junta once again demolishes foreigners homes - 16 Oct, 2013 @ 08:00
- VIDEO: Two British-owned homes have been demolished in Spain and two more will come down this week - 15 Oct, 2013 @ 11:44
- Spanish name for Halle Berry and Olivier Martinez’s baby boy - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 12:13
- VIDEO: Metropolitan Police release new e-fits in connection with Maddie McCann disappearance - 14 Oct, 2013 @ 10:23
- Louis Vuitton collaborates with Spanish illustrator to create new shopping app ads - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 17:50
- Hilarious holiday complaints revealed by travel company - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 14:16
- Have Enrique Iglesias and Anna Kournikova broken up? - 13 Oct, 2013 @ 08:09
- Protesters strip naked to make a point against animal cruelty - 12 Oct, 2013 @ 14:11
- Spanish doctor ordered to pay up for mis-diagnosis of Wolf Man - 11 Oct, 2013 @ 06:00
- Three netball teams join to raise money for Macmillan Cancer - 9 Oct, 2013 @ 11:27