SPANISH medics are warning electronic cigarettes could be just as dangerous as the real thing, despite being marketed as a healthier alternative.
Spains Association of Pneumology and Thoraicic Surgery tested the effects of e-cigarettes on the lung function in non-smokers, healthy smokers, and those with asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
The medics found the vapour in the devices caused lungs to react in exactly the same way as with regular cigarettes.
Dr Segismundo Solano, leader of the research, concluded the e-cigarette immediately increased the airway resistance and decreased their power to draw air through, and this effect was greater in the group of non-smokers and healthy smokers.
E-cigarettes have become increasingly popular in Spain, but their sale remains unregulated.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40