GIBRALTAR’S controversial artificial reef does not break EU rules.
That is the finding of the EU Commission’s Directorate-General on Environment, which was unable to identify any breach of EU environmental legislation in respect of bunkering activities, the Eastside or Sovereign Bay project and, in particular, the Artificial Reef System.
Spain had complained that the projects damaged the environment, and the artificial reef had come in for particular criticism from Madrid.
Following the Commission’s decision, Gibraltar UKIP MEP Julia Reid said she was ‘delighted’ with the decision and called out Rajoy for acting so poorly towards the Rock.
In reply, the Spanish PM described the statement as no more than a ‘letter,’ not worthy of any legal action.
As a result of the findings, Gibraltar may now wish to pursue the return of the concrete block stolen from the reef earlier this year, which is said to be valued at £2,000 and is reportedly in the possession of the Guardia Civil.
Also earlier in the year, film emerged of Guardia Civil divers checking the reef, an action that prompted outrage on the Rock.
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48