By Rob Horgan
DISGRUNTLED Estepona residents are taking a dispute with the town hall to the European Court of Justice after being charged up to €45,000 each for ‘unfair’ road improvements.
Members of the Valle Romano urbanisation are unhappy at being asked to pay so much for the ‘enormous’ infrastructure charges.
After a petition was ignored by the town hall, the Estepona Expats Residents Association contacted the EU courts to step in.
The chairman of the association, Tony Dodd, said: “These people are being totally ripped off. You cannot treat one group of people one way and then treat another group totally differently.”
Residents are said to be so worried about making the payments that they are ‘getting ill’.
Xavier Lazaro, 64, said: “We cannot afford this. We are middle-class people who don’t have lots of money. I receive €340 disability allowance a month and I’m being asked to pay €14,000. It’s crazy.
“People are asking if they are going to be chucked out into the streets. They are so worried they are getting ill, some people are even going on medication to deal with the stress.”
Another British resident said: “We have fought this on our own until now and we are simply being ignored.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36