EXCLUSIVE by Rob Horgan and Tom Powell
AN abandoned golf course in Marbella is set to be born again thanks to millionaire Russian investors.
The Olive Press can reveal that Monte Mayor golf club, in Benahavis, has new owners who plan to reopen its doors as early as 2016.
Monte Mayor representative, Roger Morback, told the Olive Press that the purchase was completed at an auction for an undisclosed fee.
He said: “The club is now in new hands and work will start immediately on restoring the course.
“The aim is to open it again as soon as possible, but the likelihood is that it will be opened in 2016 at the earliest.”
The resort – which first opened in 1989 – was shut in 2011 due to ‘disappointing operational results’. It has been left uncared for ever since.
A source close to the club’s previous Dutch owners, Phil Bass, told the Olive Press that the grounds are in need of ‘major work’.
He said: “Owners at the nearby Flamingo Golf Club maintained the course for a while, but it has remained untouched for the past two years.
“The course is currently in a very sorry state, but with the right workforce anything is possible.”
More information regarding the new owners is due to be released in January.
The plummeting rate of the Russian rouble is also believed to be affecting the investors’ plans.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36