AFTER seven years in the dark, the property market is finally awakening.
Banks are lending again, mortgage rates are down and borrowers can at last see the light at the end of the tunnel.
As the old adage goes: “The time to act is now!”
This January has – without a doubt – been the best January for borrowing since the economic crisis hit Spain in 2007.
Long may that continue. I predict that 2015 will be a much stronger year for both lenders and borrowers.
With a stabilising property market and mortgage rates as low as 2.1%, the opportunity to borrow in Spain has not looked this good for a long time.
Spain’s mortgage rates are now inline with the UK and France, between 2.1% and 3.5%. Compare that to this time last year – when rates were as high as 5.5% – it’s clear to see things are moving in an encouraging direction.
And the banks are at last looking to clients that would have previously be considered ‘unsafe’ or ‘risky’ to lend to, such as self-employed investors and non European nationals.
This is not to say that they are now taking risks. They are taking as little risk as they were last year, or the year before that with conservative loan-to-value mortgages.
This is due to a recovering economy and – even more importantly – a more stable property market.
A more stable property market, leads to greater mortgage lending which leads to higher house prices, which leads to an even more stable property market… creating a virtuous circle.
So, things are definitely looking up. Roll on the rest of the year!
- A recent slowdown in growth does not mean doom and gloom for Spain’s property market, writes Tancrede de Pola - 10 Jun, 2019 @ 18:24
- Want a return on your property investment? Look no further than Spain, writes the Finance Bureau’s Tancrede de Pola - 13 May, 2019 @ 11:36
- Why Spain is still an attractive property investment for 2019 - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 15:00
- Spain is not entering a new property bubble, but it can still do more to prevent another - 22 Dec, 2018 @ 13:58
- Mortgage approval numbers are soaring in Spain as property market continues its recovery - 4 Aug, 2018 @ 11:53
- Property market in Spain still a safe bet - 7 Jul, 2018 @ 15:00
- Why you’ll always need a mortgage broker in Spain’s booming property market - 9 Jun, 2018 @ 17:23
- Beware the 100%: Are mortgages that pay for your property in full a good idea? writes Tancrede de Pola - 14 Apr, 2018 @ 11:30
- The Finance Bureau answers the frequently most asked questions about getting a mortgage in Spain - 28 Oct, 2017 @ 11:40
- Must-dos before signing on your new property in Spain - 2 Sep, 2017 @ 11:41