A MOTHER who viciously attacked her daughter for refusing to wear the Islamic veil has been arrested in Barcelona.
The 14-year-old victim’s injuries included numerous bites and a stab wound.
Police arrested a woman in Martorell, 30km north of Barcelona, on a charge of domestic violence after she allegedly assaulted her daughter for not covering her hair.
The girl comes under the protection of the Catalonian government, and was taken to Martorell Hospital by a high school teacher whom she alerted to the incident.
There she revealed that her mother had bitten her and attacked her with a knife.
The police were alerted and located the perpetrator a few hours later.
Sources close to the victim said the assault was not just because of the headscarf but also connected to her possession of a mobile telephone.
- Property portal Kyero is ‘optimistic’ about the Spanish property market post Brexit vote - 14 Jul, 2016 @ 13:40
- Spain’s ‘original’ eating schedule has stabilising effect - 13 Jul, 2016 @ 13:30
- Restaurant chain La Sala introduces dining in the sky - 10 Jul, 2016 @ 09:30
- Blown away by Tarifa - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:06
- Axarquia town begs for residents to limit water usage while unveiling swimming pool - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:03
- Malaga tourism office releases positive message for British tourists and expats after Brexit vote - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 11:45
- Spanish PM Rajoy claims Malaga ‘has a bright, promising future’ - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 19:11
- Tiger kills zookeeper at Benidorm animal park - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 12:00
- Brexit means Spanish expansion for one UK firm - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 11:04
- Michael Gove’s Spanish-based brother in law is worried about his future after Brexit - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 08:25