AN armed robber who escaped from a British prison is hiding out in Marbella.
Haroon Ahmed revealed his whereabouts to British newspaper the Sunday Mirror after he ‘walked out’ of HMP Dovegate, Staffordshire, on Wednesday before fleeing to the Costa del Sol.
The 26-year-old had been serving jail time since 2008 after robbing a petrol station armed with a knife.
Worryingly, he claims it was ‘easy’ to break out of prison, despite being on the jail’s high-security watch list.
He said: “In my own mind I wanted to test out the security. I thought, I’ll give it a go – and walked out the door. That’s how easy it was. I just kept on walking.”
Ahmed is now worried for his and his family’s safety if he returns to the UK.
He is currently seeking legal advice from Jason Coghlan, of JaCogLaw, who has encouraged Ahmed to hand himself in.
Coughlan also believes the ‘governor’ of the prison should ‘step down’.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36