CHRIS Froome has retired from the Vuelta a Espana after suffering a fractured foot on Wednesday’s stage 11 in Andorra.
Team Sky’s leader collided with a barrier five minutes into yesterday’s race and was left walking on crutches afterwards.
It marks the end of his bid to become only the third rider to bag a Tour de France-Vuelta double in the same season.
Froome said: “I was knocked sideways into a barrier and stone wall.
“This is a great group of guys and I would love to have fought on with them until the end.
“I wish them all the best with the remainder of the race and I’ll be cheering them on from home.”
Froome finished the day out of contention in the general classification (GC), 7 mins and 30 secs down on race leader, Astana’s Fabio Aru.
He had spoken of his fears before yesterday’s monstrous section, which contained four category one climbs and a special category ascent.
But the British rider showed considerable pluck to finish the 138km stage, which was won by Spain’s Mikel Landa.
Froome praised his Sky team-mates afterwards.
Froome tweeted: “Thanks to the whole team for the support, especially @GeraintThomas86 for sticking it out with me today.”
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40
- 5 Ideas of Having Fun in Internet - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 09:23