CHRIS Froome has retired from the Vuelta a Espana after suffering a fractured foot on Wednesday’s stage 11 in Andorra.
Team Sky’s leader collided with a barrier five minutes into yesterday’s race and was left walking on crutches afterwards.
It marks the end of his bid to become only the third rider to bag a Tour de France-Vuelta double in the same season.
Froome said: “I was knocked sideways into a barrier and stone wall.
“This is a great group of guys and I would love to have fought on with them until the end.
“I wish them all the best with the remainder of the race and I’ll be cheering them on from home.”
Froome finished the day out of contention in the general classification (GC), 7 mins and 30 secs down on race leader, Astana’s Fabio Aru.
He had spoken of his fears before yesterday’s monstrous section, which contained four category one climbs and a special category ascent.
But the British rider showed considerable pluck to finish the 138km stage, which was won by Spain’s Mikel Landa.
Froome praised his Sky team-mates afterwards.
Froome tweeted: “Thanks to the whole team for the support, especially @GeraintThomas86 for sticking it out with me today.”
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05