A DUTCHMAN wrongly jailed for a rape on the Costa del Sol has been freed after 12 years in a Spanish prison.
Romano van der Dussen was put behind bars after being found guilty of three rapes in Fuengirola.
In July last year, convicted UK killer Mark Dixie confessed to one of the rapes.
New forensic tests also linked Dixie to another of the attacks.
Van der Dussen was convicted because he ‘looked like’ actual rapist Dixie.
No DNA evidence was available at the time but advances in technology have been able to clear Van der Dussen’s name.
The case is uncannily similar to the plot of US documentary Making a Murderer which sees Stephen Avery’s wrongful conviction for rape for which he served 18 years.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36