A new registry of ‘sexual delinquents’ recently created by Spain’s Ministry of Justice lists over 40,000 Spaniards who are barred from working with children.
Out of the 40,782 listed, almost 20% (7,600) are Andalucians, over a thousand more than Cataluna, who has the second most.
New rules introduced by the government last year state that people working with children must prove they have no sexual or criminal history relating to minors.
Although the law is ambiguous given that it did not specify professions, it has been revealed that 40,782 Spaniards will not be granted such permissions.
The number is the amount of people convicted of a sexual offence, and not all are necessarily linked to minors, but all are listed on the Central Sex Offender Registry recently created.
Those who have been convicted of abusing minors, including watching child pornography, will be barred from working with children for 30 years from the day their sentence is finished.
The period is ten years for those with sexual offence convictions not involving minors.
Other than the legislation’s ambiguity in not listing professions affected, unions are criticising the new rule by claiming it criminalises all workers by forcing them to prove the have no history, breaking the presumption of innocence.
Spain’s Ministry of Justice said they had chosen to prioritise the protection of minors, and that every worker who has regular contct with children has to present their history.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35